I’ve been quiet on my blog for few months because I’ve been hard at work with building my robots plus working on a very special project.
About a year ago I had this crazy idea about doing a live Wall*e film with my Wall’e robot. A few weeks ago I released the trailer and started a Kickster Campaign at the same time. The plan is to complete this feature fanfilm by December 2018. Now its only 2 day left for the Kickstarter and so far donations have been very slow and low. So I’ve decided to even ask my followers here on my blog if you could contribute something to make this year dream a reality.
I’ve included in this link my 2 trailers, 1 featurette and my Kickstarter page. Thank You for been a fan to my blog for all these years ❤
These past few weeks I’ve been tweaking the controller for my K2 head. This is a test to make sure I’m heading in the right direction. I even added sound files.
I’ve completed the build of my Wall-e about 5-6 years ago and had the desire to do some upgrades awhile now. Since last year I’ve really come to grips with 3d printing printing minor parts for R2 and other smaller projects but now have been giving Wall-e an “extreme makeover”. All the major parts of my Wall-e needed some TLC. So since June until September I’ve been letting my printers run 24/7 printing new CAD designed and fabricated parts in the hundreds. Specifically, the new treads are the biggest change. My original treads were made of foam rubber which I weren’t the best solution as they gripped the ground too well, waering out both the motors and motor controllers. These new ones glide a lot better and still have good traction where needed. The short list of new parts is:
- Totally new neck and connectors
- Completely printed head and eyes
- 70 new treads 40% solid PLA
- new conveyor belt gears of 75% solid PLA
- new BnL hubcaps all around
- 2 new arms including shoulder hub / pulleys
Next year the Wall-e film is 10 years old and I thought I’d have him in prime condition for the coming year of scheduled and surprise events (more to follow). So here are a few pictures of newly fabricated parts.
My R2 has been thru a lot of events over the years. And as with anything over time it gets damaged in all kinds of ways. Parts break off, cracked, dented and so forth. So earlier this month I gave him a complete new paint job. R2 and I were invited to attend a Toy and art Museum weekend in Finland and as they went thru the effort of arranging all the logistics I felt a slight facelift was in order. I even printed out some newer details for R2 that are lighter and better detailed. The average person won’t see a difference but at a closer look it’s perfect.
Because of BB-8 taking up so much of my hobby time this past year I decided to give Wall-e som quality time and I gave him some upgrades. Besides the rolling about and head movement the newest upgrades are working arms and compactor door. More to come..and sorry for the poor video quality.