Well, because of the unexpected success at ComicCon a week ago. And because of suggestions from friends I’m going to try a different approach to how I share my building processes. I’m going to start producing a Video blog in the coming weeks. It may just be twice a month for starters where I talk about and show how I resolved some of the issues that have come up during my projects. My main focus will be the K2 project in teh beginning as I’ve received so many questions regarding him. I need to prepare a few things to make this possible, but its in the works. The video blog is called “Reality 2 Robots”and will be on YouTube..this is the address:
Well, this CC was the one that literally changed my view on what I’m doing and get to do because of my hobbies. Here’s the video that started it all. I just showed this video to a few interest forums and the feedback was phenomenal. So many surprisingly positive reactions. Zillions of questions about “how” covering every aspect from painting, 3d designing, 3d printing, mechanics, servos, servo controllers etc…. I then realized that people just wish to know how i did it (all). I guess I was so engrossed into resolving stumbling blocks with K2 and other projects that I never considered that I should go into more detail. So my next post will be kind of an announcement….stay tuned 😉
I last posted in March this year but I’ve definitely not taken a break. The Kickstarter Campaign didn’t help fund my Wall*E film. However, I’m still not giving up and will fund it from my own pocket. It may take a little longer than planned but it’s still going to happen.
I’ve completed the build of my Wall-e about 5-6 years ago and had the desire to do some upgrades awhile now. Since last year I’ve really come to grips with 3d printing printing minor parts for R2 and other smaller projects but now have been giving Wall-e an “extreme makeover”. All the major parts of my Wall-e needed some TLC. So since June until September I’ve been letting my printers run 24/7 printing new CAD designed and fabricated parts in the hundreds. Specifically, the new treads are the biggest change. My original treads were made of foam rubber which I weren’t the best solution as they gripped the ground too well, waering out both the motors and motor controllers. These new ones glide a lot better and still have good traction where needed. The short list of new parts is:
- Totally new neck and connectors
- Completely printed head and eyes
- 70 new treads 40% solid PLA
- new conveyor belt gears of 75% solid PLA
- new BnL hubcaps all around
- 2 new arms including shoulder hub / pulleys
Next year the Wall-e film is 10 years old and I thought I’d have him in prime condition for the coming year of scheduled and surprise events (more to follow). So here are a few pictures of newly fabricated parts.
Well I haven’t posted for a few weeks but I have been very much at. I’ve done all the primary testing with my internal mechanisms and so far so good. It will of course require some tweaking. I’ve now started working on attaching the outer shell while leaving access 3 panels in the appropriate places. Its turning into a real jigsaw puzzle but a lot of fun seeing it all take shape after so many month reworking the internal workings. I will also start covering the sphere with a special plastics primer paint which will make the over coatings stick much better. I’m not going to attach the final external panels until I’m 110% sure it will flawlessly. Once the final panels are attached I won’t be able any longer to remove internal fame nor extra weights. I’ll post more pictures and perhaps video of the internal workings, Anyway here’s a few pictures to see the progress:
I’ve now started working on the internal mechanisms and well it’s kind of like building a ship in a bottle where I construct on the inside a platform, mini scaffolding for moulding all the working parts, batteries etc. Its actually a fun challenge and equally important to get everything right the first time 😉
This past weekend was the 2nd and now annual ComicCon in Stockholm in the enormously impressive Friends Arena! This was a weekend of many memorable moments that I’ll never forget. I brought my R2 and Wall-e to this event along with fellow R2 Builders Sweden and Nordic Legions Members. It was probably the best event I’ve ever been a part of in all my past 8 years of conventioning.
From my droid perspective My R2 took over the EA Games Star Wars: Battlefront display as the centerpiece:
My Wall-e was so popular it was beyond humbling with MANY compliments and loving gestures from kids and adults alike. I’ve never felt so much love for any of my previous projects as I got for my Wall-e this past weekend. These pictures only tell part of the story. But they do show why I love to have this crazy hobby.
Wall-e performed like a real champ with only a few minor glitches. My latest tread adjustments worked awesomely. I tightened up the treads and gears to prevent the treads from derailing. This 3,5 year project with Walle has finally paid off. For those that don’t know Walle was never built for the Disney film. It was all CGI. So getting the digital Walle to work in the real physical world was the ultimate challenge.
And throughout the weekend there was was this constant feeling of excitement whenever Walle caught a visitors eye.
On Saturday I and the R2 Builders got the chance to present our R2 and BB-8 builds to a standing room only 200+ public. It felt so awesome!!
Now that this event is over its time to focus on my BB-8. I have quite a few events scheduled this autumn/winter season but BB-8 completed is priority #1