This summer I was asked if I could have my R2 involved in a photo shoot. It was a fun outing and here are a few pictures from that. The model is the lovely Carolina Lundgren. and photographer is Micke Hellström
This year marks the 10 year since I started building my very first R2. I have always keep him looking like he just rolled off the factory line, white and very clean. As I mentioned in an earlier post I just gave him a whole new paint job/makeover. After doing the Finland event I felt it was time to give him the “real”, been there and back look. The term is called weathering. I’ve put it off for the longest time because it felt wrong in some way. But now I’ve changed my mine. He now looks as if he’s telling a story. I stuck with episode 4 look “A New Hope”. He’s been across Tatooine with the sand, dirt, mud and oil look that follows. Weathering is a very hard thing to master but because I’ve weathered my Wall-e and BB-8 in the past I felt I was up for this challenge. Here’s the result!
It was an intensive weekend but so exciting! First the trip to get there took 18 hour on a ferry (Viking Line) which was fine. Then directly to the event. It never ceases to amaze me the affect R2 has on so many people. I was “just” the driver but they treated R2 like royalty. I should also add that my R2 is the first and only R2 to ever visit Finland as well as the first and only one to sail the Baltic Sea. The Museum curators are already in talks about my next visit.
My R2 has been thru a lot of events over the years. And as with anything over time it gets damaged in all kinds of ways. Parts break off, cracked, dented and so forth. So earlier this month I gave him a complete new paint job. R2 and I were invited to attend a Toy and art Museum weekend in Finland and as they went thru the effort of arranging all the logistics I felt a slight facelift was in order. I even printed out some newer details for R2 that are lighter and better detailed. The average person won’t see a difference but at a closer look it’s perfect.
3 years ago I made the frame for a Star Wars mouse droid. You see it regularly running about on the Death Star and even in a scene in the force awakens as well as Rogue One. Now that I have 3d printing working pretty well I decided to complete the build. I 3D printed all the minor parts like the top details and side paneling. It took only 3 days to complete and I even made a 3d printed gearbox for the fun of it. I have a motor controller on order and will install the sound box shortly. Here are the results so far.
Sorry, no pictures this time. However, I did a test of all the BB-8 rolling and head movement systems and it worked better than I could have imagined. It was one of those milestone moments when you realize that its going to work. I have a new main motor on order because I want a certain speed and that should arrive any day now. Once I got that installed I can finish the body painting and coverings. So I’m guessing you’ll be seeing a video of my BB-8 a week or 2 after that. An AWESOME feeling 🙂