My R2 has been thru a lot of events over the years. And as with anything over time it gets damaged in all kinds of ways. Parts break off, cracked, dented and so forth. So earlier this month I gave him a complete new paint job. R2 and I were invited to attend a Toy and art Museum weekend in Finland and as they went thru the effort of arranging all the logistics I felt a slight facelift was in order. I even printed out some newer details for R2 that are lighter and better detailed. The average person won’t see a difference but at a closer look it’s perfect.
Its amazing what you can do with a little plastic and some determination. It took me 2 days to build these. I decided to make these because I need them light weight and are able to separate. Thanks to Mr. Lucas thinking R2 can fly I made the legs to conform to that possibility as well. Yes, I have a design idea for that mechanism as well. That will coming in later posts. This is my progress so far 🙂
I’ve finally had the chance to do a lot of painting. These legs have about 5-6 coats of Metallic Black car paint as the rest of the parts. I’ll be anding the details in shortly.
Its funny in a way. Every part of the building process is going much faster than my first artoo. I remember it took me weeks to figure out how to construct just one center leg. These took just a couple of days. I still have some bondo and sanding to do but still I like the progress. You can see from the picture its a pretty straight forward build 🙂
This is just a quick post to show hold straight forward it is to make center feet. i’m making 3 at the same time to save time.
Well, now that my artoo has been doing events for almost a year now parts do ware out. Nothing has really worn out yet but because my artoo’s legs are my own scratch built design I’ve seen spots for improvement. So, the older legs will be installed on my new artoo R2-A1 because there are working fine as there are. However, my newer legs, which we can call legs 2.0, will follow the same basic building technique except for I will be including a compartment for booster rockets that pop out whien the booster covers slide down. Anyone who has scratch built these things knows its not easy and require a lot of thought because once you’ve begun gluing and covering it’s too late to go back and change. Anyway, here are a few pictures to give you an idea of how I’m going about it. And yes, I have already scratch built the booster rockets. Those pictures and how-to I will post a little later 😉
Its been a long journey but there he is. I have some small details to paint and attach but its looking great and actually works. For those artoo builders that are curious.. yes, its the new polystyrene dome with a great paint job… 😉