Last weekend was ComicCon in stockholm where for the firsttime all 3 of my droids attended. R2, the oldest preformed as well as always. Wall*E, with all the upgrades was a champ. He was very popular. Bt more than BB-8 even. With all the latest upgrades it ready made a difference. He appeared very life like. I only wish I could have recorded a video but can’t drive and film at the same time. More upgrades are coming. BB-8, well performed OK but he’ll require a lot of tweaking before all the bugs are ironed out. I guess that’s why its called a hobby, lol. Ive be asked what will I do next and I actually have a project in mind but that I’ll save for a later post. In the mean time enjoy the snapshots for the weekend. As an added bonus I R2 Builders arranged to have Oliver Steeples ( R2 builder from the force awakens) and Matt Denton (BB-8 builder from the force awakens) there for the entire weekend as our guests, participate in panels and so forth. It was a real treat and got all the insider info about TFA and episode VIII 😉
This past weekend I was invited to attend the Sweden Games Conference and festival in Skövde, Sweden. I was very reluctant but when they offered to donate a large sum of money to my favorite charity I couldn’t resist. They also offered to transport all my droids to the event as well. So R2, Wall-e and BB-8 were shipped off early last week. IT WAS A BLAST! I’ve never felt so welcomed to any event as I was for this event. I’ll have to iron out a few glitches with BB-8 but will love to do this again next year 😊
Its been a long time coming but here’s the only video I’ve managed to make of my BB-8 before I had him and all my other droids shipped off for an event later this week. Its a video of him while sitting in his charging stand. I’m glad with the results so far. I will adjust the controls slightly and will do a proper video of him rolling around when I return from that event. I’m sure I’ll find thousands of bugs to fix but that’s why its called a hobby.
While waiting for some extra wiring on order for the RC electronics I decided to work on the body lighting. Its not as straight forward as a thought but coming along nicely. 2 down and four panels to go. I’m using 3mm LEDs that are just small enough to squeeze between the very thin shell and at the same time not get in the way of the rotating wheels, spinning weights and gyro.
I’m just going to put up a few before and after pictures so you can get an idea of the process. Its not a “just” to do process. Its equally important to all the preparation work to make it look as perfect as possible before even attempting the weathered look. I took me 2 days full days to weather the dome and about the same to do the body. It as all a building up process. I just acrylic paints as it takes a few passes to make it look naturally weathered than just painting it on in just one go. I have to admit I’m finally relieved seeing the results that I’m been working towards after almost a year of figuring it all out. Anyway, here are the results. The weathering is about 90% done but I will go back and touch up a few minor areas before I cover it in layers upon layers of 2K clear flat paint:
Once the covering is all done. I can put back the internal workings and do some test driving and tweaking. I’ll also do a short video to show that it actually does work…stay tuned 😉