These past few weeks I’ve been tweaking the controller for my K2 head. This is a test to make sure I’m heading in the right direction. I even added sound files.
I’ve completed the build of my Wall-e about 5-6 years ago and had the desire to do some upgrades awhile now. Since last year I’ve really come to grips with 3d printing printing minor parts for R2 and other smaller projects but now have been giving Wall-e an “extreme makeover”. All the major parts of my Wall-e needed some TLC. So since June until September I’ve been letting my printers run 24/7 printing new CAD designed and fabricated parts in the hundreds. Specifically, the new treads are the biggest change. My original treads were made of foam rubber which I weren’t the best solution as they gripped the ground too well, waering out both the motors and motor controllers. These new ones glide a lot better and still have good traction where needed. The short list of new parts is:
Next year the Wall-e film is 10 years old and I thought I’d have him in prime condition for the coming year of scheduled and surprise events (more to follow). So here are a few pictures of newly fabricated parts.
My R2 has been thru a lot of events over the years. And as with anything over time it gets damaged in all kinds of ways. Parts break off, cracked, dented and so forth. So earlier this month I gave him a complete new paint job. R2 and I were invited to attend a Toy and art Museum weekend in Finland and as they went thru the effort of arranging all the logistics I felt a slight facelift was in order. I even printed out some newer details for R2 that are lighter and better detailed. The average person won’t see a difference but at a closer look it’s perfect.
Painted and installed the head lighting. It looks pretty accurate but these pictures don’t do the eyes justice. I’ll have to take a better picture in the daylight later. I guess because I worked with this during the day that it’s always dark before I think about to taking pictures. Anyway progress is as I wish and steady. I want to get everything right (as humanly possible) only the one time. I used 3mm fiber optics and one LED for the ear bud. Some minor detail painting is still to do on the head but now I get to finally focus on the chest.
I’ve been pretty busy try to figure out how to make K-2S0’s head turn and nod but I think I figured it out. For some reason every droid builder makes the head first. I guess it gives life to the project. The head is 3d printed of course but also has a mixture of polystyrene sheets to on the inside for stability and shelves for the internal electronics. I have also designed eyes that move as well. The plan is to have sensors that make both the head and eyes turn towards passers by. Anyway, this was just a proof of concept recording regarding just the head. I used an App controlled RC controller to test life-like movements. It looks pretty convincing. Next will be to bondo the imperfections before painting.
After seeing Rogue One for the fifth time, so far. I decided to try and build K-2S0. This will be a build with no real deadline. I’ve wanted for the longest time to build a biped robot but something that was recognizable and very challenging. For this I wi
ll have to test new skills and new area’s of technology on many different levels. It would be great to have this done within a year but I’m not holding my breathe. I plan to do this at a very slow pace as well as give my other droids regular upgrades and tweaks. This year for example I’ll be tweaking R2 and Wall*e . Then do a revamping of BB-8 starting next year.
So far I’ve started to work on the head and neck of K-2S0 to test some ideas for eyes and head movements. The head will be 3d printed so that I can somewhat tweak and design 2 types of heads, one for testing proof of concept and the the second version to be actually used on my K-2. I then plan to build the above torso parts making them functional while the below waist will be static. Then after all of that is done I’ll see if the walking part is doable at all. K-2 is very top heavy so I’m now sure if a walking version is even doable. But I can’t resist a challenge. Here are my first few pictures
3 years ago I made the frame for a Star Wars mouse droid. You see it regularly running about on the Death Star and even in a scene in the force awakens as well as Rogue One. Now that I have 3d printing working pretty well I decided to complete the build. I 3D printed all the minor parts like the top details and side paneling. It took only 3 days to complete and I even made a 3d printed gearbox for the fun of it. I have a motor controller on order and will install the sound box shortly. Here are the results so far.