This year marks the 10 year since I started building my very first R2. I have always keep him looking like he just rolled off the factory line, white and very clean. As I mentioned in an earlier post I just gave him a whole new paint job/makeover. After doing the Finland event I felt it was time to give him the “real”, been there and back look. The term is called weathering. I’ve put it off for the longest time because it felt wrong in some way. But now I’ve changed my mine. He now looks as if he’s telling a story. I stuck with episode 4 look “A New Hope”. He’s been across Tatooine with the sand, dirt, mud and oil look that follows. Weathering is a very hard thing to master but because I’ve weathered my Wall-e and BB-8 in the past I felt I was up for this challenge. Here’s the result!
My R2 has been thru a lot of events over the years. And as with anything over time it gets damaged in all kinds of ways. Parts break off, cracked, dented and so forth. So earlier this month I gave him a complete new paint job. R2 and I were invited to attend a Toy and art Museum weekend in Finland and as they went thru the effort of arranging all the logistics I felt a slight facelift was in order. I even printed out some newer details for R2 that are lighter and better detailed. The average person won’t see a difference but at a closer look it’s perfect.
After the ComicCon Stockholm event, which was great I took a small break from major events to give time to my hobbies, friends and family. In early December I invested in 2 new identical 3d printers that are basically plug-in play. The printing bed isn’t overly enormous but works perfectly for my hobbying needs. I wanted to spend more time designing and building my robot projects and not endless hours tweaking a printer. These are Flashforge Finder printers and really are amazing in its simplicity and build quality. Here’s a one of the many prints I’ve done to test the quality and printing technique for this specific printer. I’m truly impressed and a lot more builds and project upgrades are already in the pipeline.
I’m just going to put up a few before and after pictures so you can get an idea of the process. Its not a “just” to do process. Its equally important to all the preparation work to make it look as perfect as possible before even attempting the weathered look. I took me 2 days full days to weather the dome and about the same to do the body. It as all a building up process. I just acrylic paints as it takes a few passes to make it look naturally weathered than just painting it on in just one go. I have to admit I’m finally relieved seeing the results that I’m been working towards after almost a year of figuring it all out. Anyway, here are the results. The weathering is about 90% done but I will go back and touch up a few minor areas before I cover it in layers upon layers of 2K clear flat paint:
Once the covering is all done. I can put back the internal workings and do some test driving and tweaking. I’ll also do a short video to show that it actually does work…stay tuned 😉
Things will be publish a bit more often the coming weeks as I’m nearing the end (hopefully) of this build. Today’s video just shows the now almost completely painted vacuum formed dome with lights installed. I’ll be weathering a little later to bring out the details even more but I’m happy with my results so far.