Painted and installed the head lighting. It looks pretty accurate but these pictures don’t do the eyes justice. I’ll have to take a better picture in the daylight later. I guess because I worked with this during the day that it’s always dark before I think about to taking pictures. Anyway progress is as I wish and steady. I want to get everything right (as humanly possible) only the one time. I used 3mm fiber optics and one LED for the ear bud. Some minor detail painting is still to do on the head but now I get to finally focus on the chest.
I’ve been pretty busy try to figure out how to make K-2S0’s head turn and nod but I think I figured it out. For some reason every droid builder makes the head first. I guess it gives life to the project. The head is 3d printed of course but also has a mixture of polystyrene sheets to on the inside for stability and shelves for the internal electronics. I have also designed eyes that move as well. The plan is to have sensors that make both the head and eyes turn towards passers by. Anyway, this was just a proof of concept recording regarding just the head. I used an App controlled RC controller to test life-like movements. It looks pretty convincing. Next will be to bondo the imperfections before painting.
After seeing Rogue One for the fifth time, so far. I decided to try and build K-2S0. This will be a build with no real deadline. I’ve wanted for the longest time to build a biped robot but something that was recognizable and very challenging. For this I wi
ll have to test new skills and new area’s of technology on many different levels. It would be great to have this done within a year but I’m not holding my breathe. I plan to do this at a very slow pace as well as give my other droids regular upgrades and tweaks. This year for example I’ll be tweaking R2 and Wall*e . Then do a revamping of BB-8 starting next year.
So far I’ve started to work on the head and neck of K-2S0 to test some ideas for eyes and head movements. The head will be 3d printed so that I can somewhat tweak and design 2 types of heads, one for testing proof of concept and the the second version to be actually used on my K-2. I then plan to build the above torso parts making them functional while the below waist will be static. Then after all of that is done I’ll see if the walking part is doable at all. K-2 is very top heavy so I’m now sure if a walking version is even doable. But I can’t resist a challenge. Here are my first few pictures
3 years ago I made the frame for a Star Wars mouse droid. You see it regularly running about on the Death Star and even in a scene in the force awakens as well as Rogue One. Now that I have 3d printing working pretty well I decided to complete the build. I 3D printed all the minor parts like the top details and side paneling. It took only 3 days to complete and I even made a 3d printed gearbox for the fun of it. I have a motor controller on order and will install the sound box shortly. Here are the results so far.
After the ComicCon Stockholm event, which was great I took a small break from major events to give time to my hobbies, friends and family. In early December I invested in 2 new identical 3d printers that are basically plug-in play. The printing bed isn’t overly enormous but works perfectly for my hobbying needs. I wanted to spend more time designing and building my robot projects and not endless hours tweaking a printer. These are Flashforge Finder printers and really are amazing in its simplicity and build quality. Here’s a one of the many prints I’ve done to test the quality and printing technique for this specific printer. I’m truly impressed and a lot more builds and project upgrades are already in the pipeline.
At ComicCon Stockholm a few weekends ago a visitor recorded a very short video of her friend greeting my Wall*E for the very first time. The moment, brief that it was was still a very magical encounter and here it is:
Last weekend was ComicCon in stockholm where for the firsttime all 3 of my droids attended. R2, the oldest preformed as well as always. Wall*E, with all the upgrades was a champ. He was very popular. Bt more than BB-8 even. With all the latest upgrades it ready made a difference. He appeared very life like. I only wish I could have recorded a video but can’t drive and film at the same time. More upgrades are coming. BB-8, well performed OK but he’ll require a lot of tweaking before all the bugs are ironed out. I guess that’s why its called a hobby, lol. Ive be asked what will I do next and I actually have a project in mind but that I’ll save for a later post. In the mean time enjoy the snapshots for the weekend. As an added bonus I R2 Builders arranged to have Oliver Steeples ( R2 builder from the force awakens) and Matt Denton (BB-8 builder from the force awakens) there for the entire weekend as our guests, participate in panels and so forth. It was a real treat and got all the insider info about TFA and episode VIII 😉