These past few weeks I’ve been tweaking the controller for my K2 head. This is a test to make sure I’m heading in the right direction. I even added sound files.
Painted and installed the head lighting. It looks pretty accurate but these pictures don’t do the eyes justice. I’ll have to take a better picture in the daylight later. I guess because I worked with this during the day that it’s always dark before I think about to taking pictures. Anyway progress is as I wish and steady. I want to get everything right (as humanly possible) only the one time. I used 3mm fiber optics and one LED for the ear bud. Some minor detail painting is still to do on the head but now I get to finally focus on the chest.
I’ve been pretty busy try to figure out how to make K-2S0’s head turn and nod but I think I figured it out. For some reason every droid builder makes the head first. I guess it gives life to the project. The head is 3d printed of course but also has a mixture of polystyrene sheets to on the inside for stability and shelves for the internal electronics. I have also designed eyes that move as well. The plan is to have sensors that make both the head and eyes turn towards passers by. Anyway, this was just a proof of concept recording regarding just the head. I used an App controlled RC controller to test life-like movements. It looks pretty convincing. Next will be to bondo the imperfections before painting.
After seeing Rogue One for the fifth time, so far. I decided to try and build K-2S0. This will be a build with no real deadline. I’ve wanted for the longest time to build a biped robot but something that was recognizable and very challenging. For this I wi
ll have to test new skills and new area’s of technology on many different levels. It would be great to have this done within a year but I’m not holding my breathe. I plan to do this at a very slow pace as well as give my other droids regular upgrades and tweaks. This year for example I’ll be tweaking R2 and Wall*e . Then do a revamping of BB-8 starting next year.
So far I’ve started to work on the head and neck of K-2S0 to test some ideas for eyes and head movements. The head will be 3d printed so that I can somewhat tweak and design 2 types of heads, one for testing proof of concept and the the second version to be actually used on my K-2. I then plan to build the above torso parts making them functional while the below waist will be static. Then after all of that is done I’ll see if the walking part is doable at all. K-2 is very top heavy so I’m now sure if a walking version is even doable. But I can’t resist a challenge. Here are my first few pictures