I’ve been quiet on my blog for few months because I’ve been hard at work with building my robots plus working on a very special project.
About a year ago I had this crazy idea about doing a live Wall*e film with my Wall’e robot. A few weeks ago I released the trailer and started a Kickster Campaign at the same time. The plan is to complete this feature fanfilm by December 2018. Now its only 2 day left for the Kickstarter and so far donations have been very slow and low. So I’ve decided to even ask my followers here on my blog if you could contribute something to make this year dream a reality.
I’ve included in this link my 2 trailers, 1 featurette and my Kickstarter page. Thank You for been a fan to my blog for all these years ❤
I’ve completed the build of my Wall-e about 5-6 years ago and had the desire to do some upgrades awhile now. Since last year I’ve really come to grips with 3d printing printing minor parts for R2 and other smaller projects but now have been giving Wall-e an “extreme makeover”. All the major parts of my Wall-e needed some TLC. So since June until September I’ve been letting my printers run 24/7 printing new CAD designed and fabricated parts in the hundreds. Specifically, the new treads are the biggest change. My original treads were made of foam rubber which I weren’t the best solution as they gripped the ground too well, waering out both the motors and motor controllers. These new ones glide a lot better and still have good traction where needed. The short list of new parts is:
- Totally new neck and connectors
- Completely printed head and eyes
- 70 new treads 40% solid PLA
- new conveyor belt gears of 75% solid PLA
- new BnL hubcaps all around
- 2 new arms including shoulder hub / pulleys
Next year the Wall-e film is 10 years old and I thought I’d have him in prime condition for the coming year of scheduled and surprise events (more to follow). So here are a few pictures of newly fabricated parts.
Because of BB-8 taking up so much of my hobby time this past year I decided to give Wall-e som quality time and I gave him some upgrades. Besides the rolling about and head movement the newest upgrades are working arms and compactor door. More to come..and sorry for the poor video quality.
Today I was invited to the local public library that had a themed weekend about recycling. Of course my Wall-e is the perfect symbol (ambassador) for recycling. It was more of a meet and greet day, get the chance to selfies with Wall-e and learn a little bit about the importance of recycling. The public wasn’t as large as typical visits I’ve done in the past but was still a lot of fun a it was for a good cause. The library also offered to donate some funds to my charity of choice which is a double bonus. I didn’t get a chance to take many pictures of the visitors interacting with my Wall-e but here’s a few, enjoy 🙂
I had a lucky day with nice weather and took advantage in weathering Wall*E’s body. It seems strange to give him a perfect paint job then “dirty” it up with a look of rust and oil stains. It turned out pretty good but I’ll need to do a little detail weathering in a few days. I used 3 different spray colours, Yellow, a Rust coloured primer and flat black and that’s all I needed to give it the look. I’ve never tried this before but like the way it has turned out so far.
Finally making some progress over the past weeks and its finally looking more and more like Wall*E
The Wall*E work continues. I’ve been working further on the panel this weekend. Its finally taking shape and almost coming to life. The LCD actually works and you can see the charge level change in sequence over time. I created the display pictures in Photoshop with a little of a glowing affect. I still have some work to do on the panel but its coming along nicely 🙂