Under the summer while the weather has been perfect for painting parts I’ve been going thru dozens and dozen of cans to get the wanted effect. The most important paint used isn’t really paint. Its the primer that is your make or break process. Because all the parts are 3D printed they do require some light sanding and then using a primer-filler spray. There are many different kinds of primer-filler spray painton teh market but whichever you use remember “layers are your friend”. Don’t be afraid to use many thin layers. On average 4-5 thin layers work best and then you used that main colour. That only required 2 layers and finally a 2K clear coat to protect it.
I’ve completed the build of my Wall-e about 5-6 years ago and had the desire to do some upgrades awhile now. Since last year I’ve really come to grips with 3d printing printing minor parts for R2 and other smaller projects but now have been giving Wall-e an “extreme makeover”. All the major parts of my Wall-e needed some TLC. So since June until September I’ve been letting my printers run 24/7 printing new CAD designed and fabricated parts in the hundreds. Specifically, the new treads are the biggest change. My original treads were made of foam rubber which I weren’t the best solution as they gripped the ground too well, waering out both the motors and motor controllers. These new ones glide a lot better and still have good traction where needed. The short list of new parts is:
- Totally new neck and connectors
- Completely printed head and eyes
- 70 new treads 40% solid PLA
- new conveyor belt gears of 75% solid PLA
- new BnL hubcaps all around
- 2 new arms including shoulder hub / pulleys
Next year the Wall-e film is 10 years old and I thought I’d have him in prime condition for the coming year of scheduled and surprise events (more to follow). So here are a few pictures of newly fabricated parts.
My R2 has been thru a lot of events over the years. And as with anything over time it gets damaged in all kinds of ways. Parts break off, cracked, dented and so forth. So earlier this month I gave him a complete new paint job. R2 and I were invited to attend a Toy and art Museum weekend in Finland and as they went thru the effort of arranging all the logistics I felt a slight facelift was in order. I even printed out some newer details for R2 that are lighter and better detailed. The average person won’t see a difference but at a closer look it’s perfect.
After seeing Rogue One for the fifth time, so far. I decided to try and build K-2S0. This will be a build with no real deadline. I’ve wanted for the longest time to build a biped robot but something that was recognizable and very challenging. For this I wi
ll have to test new skills and new area’s of technology on many different levels. It would be great to have this done within a year but I’m not holding my breathe. I plan to do this at a very slow pace as well as give my other droids regular upgrades and tweaks. This year for example I’ll be tweaking R2 and Wall*e . Then do a revamping of BB-8 starting next year.
So far I’ve started to work on the head and neck of K-2S0 to test some ideas for eyes and head movements. The head will be 3d printed so that I can somewhat tweak and design 2 types of heads, one for testing proof of concept and the the second version to be actually used on my K-2. I then plan to build the above torso parts making them functional while the below waist will be static. Then after all of that is done I’ll see if the walking part is doable at all. K-2 is very top heavy so I’m now sure if a walking version is even doable. But I can’t resist a challenge. Here are my first few pictures
3 years ago I made the frame for a Star Wars mouse droid. You see it regularly running about on the Death Star and even in a scene in the force awakens as well as Rogue One. Now that I have 3d printing working pretty well I decided to complete the build. I 3D printed all the minor parts like the top details and side paneling. It took only 3 days to complete and I even made a 3d printed gearbox for the fun of it. I have a motor controller on order and will install the sound box shortly. Here are the results so far.
After the ComicCon Stockholm event, which was great I took a small break from major events to give time to my hobbies, friends and family. In early December I invested in 2 new identical 3d printers that are basically plug-in play. The printing bed isn’t overly enormous but works perfectly for my hobbying needs. I wanted to spend more time designing and building my robot projects and not endless hours tweaking a printer. These are Flashforge Finder printers and really are amazing in its simplicity and build quality. Here’s a one of the many prints I’ve done to test the quality and printing technique for this specific printer. I’m truly impressed and a lot more builds and project upgrades are already in the pipeline.