Under the summer while the weather has been perfect for painting parts I’ve been going thru dozens and dozen of cans to get the wanted effect. The most important paint used isn’t really paint. Its the primer that is your make or break process. Because all the parts are 3D printed they do require some light sanding and then using a primer-filler spray. There are many different kinds of primer-filler spray painton teh market but whichever you use remember “layers are your friend”. Don’t be afraid to use many thin layers. On average 4-5 thin layers work best and then you used that main colour. That only required 2 layers and finally a 2K clear coat to protect it.
My K2SO has been an ongoing project for a while now. To recap a little I posted some of the progress of the head late last year and the head premiered on ComicCon 2017. I also had the opportunely to hang out that entire weekend with LucasFilm and now Star Wars veterans Matt Denton (BB8 and K2So creator) and Lee Towersey (R2 builder). They gave me the inspiration carry on with my K2 project as well as giving me guidance in a possible direction to take in order to complete the project as well as getting him to walk. Keep in mind K2SO was never built for the Rogue One movie. According to Matt, because of production time limits they just didn’t have the chance to pursue that avenue. He was 100% CGI in Rogue One.
Painted and installed the head lighting. It looks pretty accurate but these pictures don’t do the eyes justice. I’ll have to take a better picture in the daylight later. I guess because I worked with this during the day that it’s always dark before I think about to taking pictures. Anyway progress is as I wish and steady. I want to get everything right (as humanly possible) only the one time. I used 3mm fiber optics and one LED for the ear bud. Some minor detail painting is still to do on the head but now I get to finally focus on the chest.
I’ve been pretty busy try to figure out how to make K-2S0’s head turn and nod but I think I figured it out. For some reason every droid builder makes the head first. I guess it gives life to the project. The head is 3d printed of course but also has a mixture of polystyrene sheets to on the inside for stability and shelves for the internal electronics. I have also designed eyes that move as well. The plan is to have sensors that make both the head and eyes turn towards passers by. Anyway, this was just a proof of concept recording regarding just the head. I used an App controlled RC controller to test life-like movements. It looks pretty convincing. Next will be to bondo the imperfections before painting.