I’ve completed the build of my Wall-e about 5-6 years ago and had the desire to do some upgrades awhile now. Since last year I’ve really come to grips with 3d printing printing minor parts for R2 and other smaller projects but now have been giving Wall-e an “extreme makeover”. All the major parts of my Wall-e needed some TLC. So since June until September I’ve been letting my printers run 24/7 printing new CAD designed and fabricated parts in the hundreds. Specifically, the new treads are the biggest change. My original treads were made of foam rubber which I weren’t the best solution as they gripped the ground too well, waering out both the motors and motor controllers. These new ones glide a lot better and still have good traction where needed. The short list of new parts is:
- Totally new neck and connectors
- Completely printed head and eyes
- 70 new treads 40% solid PLA
- new conveyor belt gears of 75% solid PLA
- new BnL hubcaps all around
- 2 new arms including shoulder hub / pulleys
Next year the Wall-e film is 10 years old and I thought I’d have him in prime condition for the coming year of scheduled and surprise events (more to follow). So here are a few pictures of newly fabricated parts.
Because of BB-8 taking up so much of my hobby time this past year I decided to give Wall-e som quality time and I gave him some upgrades. Besides the rolling about and head movement the newest upgrades are working arms and compactor door. More to come..and sorry for the poor video quality.
Today I was invited to the local public library that had a themed weekend about recycling. Of course my Wall-e is the perfect symbol (ambassador) for recycling. It was more of a meet and greet day, get the chance to selfies with Wall-e and learn a little bit about the importance of recycling. The public wasn’t as large as typical visits I’ve done in the past but was still a lot of fun a it was for a good cause. The library also offered to donate some funds to my charity of choice which is a double bonus. I didn’t get a chance to take many pictures of the visitors interacting with my Wall-e but here’s a few, enjoy 🙂
Because I’ve been off from work the past week I’ve had lots of time to do some real progress on Wall-e .I even tested my gear/track set-up for the very first time and it actually worked. I’m going to tweek them a little more before I post the final pics. The eyes are also scratch built and the centre iris is a real lens thanks to my very close friend Fiona getting it for me. The Neck was a complicated structure. I wanted to make it look screen accurate and it is but I had to make it somewhat durable as well. Any way here are the latest pics
I had a lucky day with nice weather and took advantage in weathering Wall*E’s body. It seems strange to give him a perfect paint job then “dirty” it up with a look of rust and oil stains. It turned out pretty good but I’ll need to do a little detail weathering in a few days. I used 3 different spray colours, Yellow, a Rust coloured primer and flat black and that’s all I needed to give it the look. I’ve never tried this before but like the way it has turned out so far.
As everyone know Wall*E isn’t just a rusty brown colour. He’s really yellow when he’s new. So I’ve been testing the yellow colour choice on the front compactor. It’s a perfect match! I even put the “Wall*E” text that I made earlier and it looks so cool together. Here’sa few pics of the test fitting 🙂
This is the way I made the text on the front door of Wall*E. The best way to do this is by inverting the image in a picture editing program such as Photoshop, print it out and then glue it on a thick piece of polystyrene plastic. I used spray glue and carefully cut it out. You’ll need a steady hand for this kind of work. It works great and I even did the rear door logo the same way.