This year marks the 10 year since I started building my very first R2. I have always keep him looking like he just rolled off the factory line, white and very clean. As I mentioned in an earlier post I just gave him a whole new paint job/makeover. After doing the Finland event I felt it was time to give him the “real”, been there and back look. The term is called weathering. I’ve put it off for the longest time because it felt wrong in some way. But now I’ve changed my mine. He now looks as if he’s telling a story. I stuck with episode 4 look “A New Hope”. He’s been across Tatooine with the sand, dirt, mud and oil look that follows. Weathering is a very hard thing to master but because I’ve weathered my Wall-e and BB-8 in the past I felt I was up for this challenge. Here’s the result!
The major rebuilding continues. I’ve recently been rebuilding the actual wheel base included adding stronger motors. Here are a few progress pictures. I even included pictures of the older wheel base. The older wheels worked fine but after 3 years of events I wanted to make them stronger and more durable. The older version was a simple build where I literally chopped up 2 electric kick-bike scooters while keeping there wheel/motor base. The new base I’ve been working on I have totally done from scratch. Its actually easy as well, once you’ve put your mind and tools to work 😉
Its funny in a way. Every part of the building process is going much faster than my first artoo. I remember it took me weeks to figure out how to construct just one center leg. These took just a couple of days. I still have some bondo and sanding to do but still I like the progress. You can see from the picture its a pretty straight forward build 🙂
This is just a quick post to show hold straight forward it is to make center feet. i’m making 3 at the same time to save time.
Yes building is still continuing. The holiday breaks are over and I’m back at it, with a few changes. First my original Artoo is in for a major overhaul. Body, legs and electronics are going through the ropes. After 3 yrs of events its was time for it. My last event before the holidays told me it was time for a lot of work. My Walle project which I have already started will have to wait for about a month before I can pick it up again. However, because I’m re-working my original Artoo I’m building my R2-Q5 at the same time. I figure it has the same technical aspects and now building the parts are easy, partly because I’ve done many of these procedures before. This weekend we had a building party at my place and I’ve been helping a few good friends with there R5-D4 and SW costumes. It was a blast and here are some pictures. This weekend I scratch built my R2-Q5’s battery boxes and side feet. Here are the pics enjoy 🙂
I have been having one issue with my artoo that I just haven’t had time to fix, until now. The center foot has always been slightly pointed upwards in front. Only I and other perfections really noticed it or even cared. Usually R2 builders want a pair of swivel wheels or ball casters in there, but because I had the issue of it pointing upward in front one of the wheels in the center foot never touched the ground. As a result I had to temporally remove one of them because it just looked silly, lol. I knew it would take a little extra time to adjust because there wasn’t really any room to get that foot level. Now, after a few days of redesigning where the joint and center foot meet it’s done. You can perhaps see the before and after difference. It was mostly noticeable when I would put artoo in reverse…
Its been a long journey but there he is. I have some small details to paint and attach but its looking great and actually works. For those artoo builders that are curious.. yes, its the new polystyrene dome with a great paint job… 😉