After seeing Rogue One for the fifth time, so far. I decided to try and build K-2S0. This will be a build with no real deadline. I’ve wanted for the longest time to build a biped robot but something that was recognizable and very challenging. For this I wi
ll have to test new skills and new area’s of technology on many different levels. It would be great to have this done within a year but I’m not holding my breathe. I plan to do this at a very slow pace as well as give my other droids regular upgrades and tweaks. This year for example I’ll be tweaking R2 and Wall*e . Then do a revamping of BB-8 starting next year.
So far I’ve started to work on the head and neck of K-2S0 to test some ideas for eyes and head movements. The head will be 3d printed so that I can somewhat tweak and design 2 types of heads, one for testing proof of concept and the the second version to be actually used on my K-2. I then plan to build the above torso parts making them functional while the below waist will be static. Then after all of that is done I’ll see if the walking part is doable at all. K-2 is very top heavy so I’m now sure if a walking version is even doable. But I can’t resist a challenge. Here are my first few pictures
Its been a long time coming but here’s the only video I’ve managed to make of my BB-8 before I had him and all my other droids shipped off for an event later this week. Its a video of him while sitting in his charging stand. I’m glad with the results so far. I will adjust the controls slightly and will do a proper video of him rolling around when I return from that event. I’m sure I’ll find thousands of bugs to fix but that’s why its called a hobby.
I’m just going to put up a few before and after pictures so you can get an idea of the process. Its not a “just” to do process. Its equally important to all the preparation work to make it look as perfect as possible before even attempting the weathered look. I took me 2 days full days to weather the dome and about the same to do the body. It as all a building up process. I just acrylic paints as it takes a few passes to make it look naturally weathered than just painting it on in just one go. I have to admit I’m finally relieved seeing the results that I’m been working towards after almost a year of figuring it all out. Anyway, here are the results. The weathering is about 90% done but I will go back and touch up a few minor areas before I cover it in layers upon layers of 2K clear flat paint:
Once the covering is all done. I can put back the internal workings and do some test driving and tweaking. I’ll also do a short video to show that it actually does work…stay tuned 😉
I’ve finally committed to covering my BB-8. He has six circular panels however I will just have 2 functional ones. You can probably guess why 😉 . Anyway, this is the progress so far. I’m going to weather the body and dome a lot more but its all progressing well so far.
Things will be publish a bit more often the coming weeks as I’m nearing the end (hopefully) of this build. Today’s video just shows the now almost completely painted vacuum formed dome with lights installed. I’ll be weathering a little later to bring out the details even more but I’m happy with my results so far.
I’ve been working a my 3d printed dome for BB8 for a while and I’ve been trying to find way to make it lighter. A few weekends ago I decided to try vacuum forming my printed dome and to my surprise it actually worked. I then tweaked my settings a few times to get the optimal look. The pictures below are versions 1.0 and 2.0 next to the original 3d version. I’m impressed not only that it worked but also by the amount of weight I’ve saved. It now only weighs about a 3rd of the original 3d version. At present I’m painting and installing the lights so I’m saving the final picture of the completed dome for a few more days. I’ve also stumbled over a way to save on lighting weight as well which I’ll show at a later date. My present dome I’m working on will do full revolutions meaning the entire dome and skirt will spin together. I’m also working on a 3rd dome version where the “skirt” doesn’t turn at all, just the dome itself will turn. This is the way the original BB-8 in the movie works. I should also note that the internal mechanisms are already installed and setup to work that way.