Hi everyone, its been a very long time since I’ve written in my blog. Last year I had a sad change of events in my life that needed me to take a few steps away from any hobby work and somewhat restart key parts in my life. Now however I’m back doing what I so love building and being creative.
The first major news is that I’m taking the challenge of working/refurbishing my R2’s and Wall-e with the help of a 3D printer. I’ll be building a MendelMax 2 from scratch and the parts are already on order. With this I plan to create my own designs for these robots I already have and for more advanced robot builds that I have already started designing for future builds. So all I can say is “watch this space” in the coming weeks ;-)
Finally, after a very busy and fun event season I get time to finally start my new project besides the R2-A1. Yes I’m finally starting Wall-e!!!! I just got my reference picture back from the local printers in Stockholm. And as with all projects it starts from drawings and diagrams. This printed picture is the “actual” size of how the parts will be. I say “actual” because the original wall-e in the movies was a computer generated character. Anyway, the major challenge (and the only real challenge) will be the the tread-wheel. Making them look like wall-e’s is easy but making them work is a totally different challenge, lol. So it will be a fine line between being exact and being functional. This will be a fully functional 1:1 scaled replica. I will be trying to keep the body weight down by using thin wood around a wooden frame. In a way similar to the way I have built artoo. The plan with this build is to have wall-e done by the November-December 2010 for next years big Sci fi event. Wish me luck ;)
Well, I guess I’m on a roll. I’m now going to make an “electro magnetic power charge arm”. Wow, that was a mouth full, lool. I’ve seen this in episode 6 Return of the Jedi where artoo zapps a few ewoks and free’s Leia. A few other builders have made a charger connetion behind that panel, which actually artoo has. So I’m planning to make both charger connection and a charger arm. The arm will extend out when the panel opens (including the appropriate bells and whistles). The hardest part is to see what the arm actually looks like. I bought the latest SW blueprint booklet, which has a great diagram of artoo and viewed EP 6 over and over. I will have to do an approximate version (about 90% accurate). Becasue I’m doing another SciFi Con the first weekend in March in Gotherburg, I thought I would add this second addition and do some general tweaking. After that I have been invited to attend a Model Expo in Helsinki, Finland the first weekend in April. Anyway, here are the design and installation pics, enjoy…
Wow….I havent added a post in about a month, sorry guys. However, I’ve been busy building. This past month I’ve be working on those (damn) legs. Yes, I used the 4 letter word. After trying a few paper ideas to get a feel for which way to go I desided to do the solid wooden version. The reason being is becasue its easiest to work with and i get to try out those tools I bought, way back when. They’re almost done but I thought I’m add some progress pictures. Enjoy ;)
Okay, after getting back from a short business trip in Berlin my newly printed plans were sitting at home waiting for me, Yippy! So this weekend I spent a lot of time in the local DIY stores getting all kinds of tools and materials that I didnt know I would ever need, pretty cool actually. So as soon as the domes arrive, in about a week or so, I can finally measure up the frame for cutting. I also placed and order for some resin-parts and dome electronics. Unfortunately Those wont arrive until the end of this month. I’m having my Sister over for christmas so no issues about duty taxes ;-) I guess its kind of a “hurry-up-and-wait” situation right now, but the wheels are in motion none the less :)
I don’t know how Brenda could see it but yepp my plans are off by about a 3rd of an inch. They are a 3rd of an inch too small, both vertically and horizontally. The Question is will anyone notice or do I have to invest in a reprint? Suggestions are much appreciated while my hairs turn grey, lol.
The first part of this ”little” endeavour has begun. My plans have arrived from the printers. Yippy!! Not until now did I realise the scale of it all, wow. When starting out on this project I thought I would cut corners on cost when possible but not on quality so I found a great way to get the plans printed inexpensively. I just went to the local printing shop an asked how do they calibrate there machines. They said they do test runs when they change the paper rolls so I asked when the next test run was. It just so happened that they were planning one later that week. So I asked if I could get a reduced rate if they tested the machine using my plans. They said sure and the plans arrive today. The price for it all was….. yepp free!! They charged me nothing because I didn’t need a colour print out and they were going to do the test run anyway. In all it’s about 15 sheets of plans and cutouts. Not that I’m cheap but a penny saved is still a …. ;-)