With a little extra time on my hands I’ve managed to get some progress done sooner than I thought. I modified my original sphere by cutting a quarter off the 2 opposing sides and then strengthen with 2 HDPE plastic (25mm thick) rings that I cut to size. I make the rings using a handheld router which made the process a snap. I then anchored them to the sphere with with countersunk screws.
Keep in mind that this will be the inner frame. Once I’ve completed the inner workings I plan to then attach additional and totally spherical outer frame panels. Some of those panels will also work as access panels so I can access batteries, components as well as do motor repairs and so forth. So far it has turned out better than I could have hopped.
On a side note this has been a major hurdle to figure out but now this solution gives me a range of possibilities with my BB-8 😉