Just getting back from my vacation trip and am back at this crazy build. I call it a crazy build because I really have no 100% certainty that this will even work as I have intended. And having only a few months to complete this is an added challenge. Anyway, while waiting for some key parts to be delivered I’ve decided to test vacuum forming the dome with different plastics and thickness’s. The optimum seems to be 3-4mm polystyrene for the main dome shell and then 1-2mm polystyrene for the dome panelling. In case you’re wondering I found this 28.5 cm bowl at IKEA which is actually the exact size I’ve been looking for and I’ve been looking for weeks. The pics below show the main dome only.
Back at it with BB-8