Well.. I dont know what I was thinking but i gave the “first” batch of shoulders no real thought at all. I thought cut, cut, snip, snip and its done. Yeah, well…I did all that and if i used that first batch my artoos wouldnt have managed more than 2 yards before the legs fell off, lol. Lets just say complicted ideas create complicated problems. Anyway, I took a step back and took a new approach. I used very thick cement form tube and doubled the thickness by overlapping the tubes. I then made a series 2 inch thick wooden disks to fit inside the tube, In all 6 for each shoulder. Then i placed a single screw rod from end to end. This will be the main screw with 4 supporting screws on each end. I then covered the tubes in a special silver plastic cover that looks like machined aluminum, perfect for the shoulders. The plastic cover is self-adhesive, very strong, very inexpensive and the results speak for themselves 🙂 Points to note. First, I made and access panel to the inside of the shoulders. Not sure what they are needed for but could be great for housing batteries and some electronics. I also added small access tubes under the “metal” skin which will be for the wires that come and go to the feet. The second thing to note is that grey frame that one of the shoulder sets is sitting in. I build that to test the weight and way I plan to lock the shoulders in the finished artoo’s. It will also be good for test the motorized legs including center foot in the future as well. For once I’m starting to plan ahead, lol
the shoulders that should have taken a few hours..